Hernia Repair in Bluffton
The highly skilled surgeons at Okatie Surgical Partners provide surgical services for hernia repair in Bluffton, South Carolina. A hernia occurs when an organ or fatty tissue squeezes through a weak spot in the surrounding muscle or connective tissue. The types of hernia are:
• Epigastric hernia: Occurs in the region of the abdomen above the bellybutton and below the ribcage.
• Femoral hernia: Occurs when tissue pushes through a weak point in the groin or inner thigh. This type of hernia can be concerning because of its proximity to the femoral vein.
• Hiatal hernia: Occurs when the stomach bulges through a weak point in the diaphragm, and can cause acid reflux.
• Inguinal hernia: Occurs when a portion of the intestine or fat bulges through the lower stomach wall. The bulge will usually go through the inguinal canal, which is located in the groin area.
• Incisional hernia: Can occur after a patient has stomach surgery. If the surgical wound does not completely heal, the patient becomes more vulnerable to developing this type of hernia.
• Umbilical hernia: Occurs when tissues in the body bulge through an area of weakness in the bellybutton area.
In many cases the hernia surgery can be performed laparoscopically, which is minimally invasive and requires less – or no – time in the hospital, and a shorter recovery time. Let our experienced and compassionate surgeons provide you with diagnosis and surgical treatment of your hernia, call us today at (843) 558-8428 to schedule an appointment.